The Order of the Arrow is sponsoring a day of service for everyone from Tigers to Venture on Thursday, July 8th 2010. Please come with your units for service opportunities and activities at the awesome Black Prairie Raptor Center on Lake Lavon; www.bpraptorcenter.org.
Schedule: 8:00 AM Checkin, 8:30-noon Service, 12-1 – Lunch, 1-4 – Activities, Cost – none
See details here. Online registration here.
Time is quickly approaching for the Lone Star District Day at the Black Prairie Raptor Center. If you have not signed up, please do so as soon as possible, we want to make sure we are prepared for everyone. Here is some information to help make sure you and your scouts are ready for a good time:
Directions: The park is actually 8.3 miles from Hwy 75. Once you turn on Bethany Road, follow the road east for 6.5 miles, to the light at FM 3286. There is a Fina gas station/bait shop at that corner. Travel just 0.9 mile to the right turn onto Brockdale Road, the park will be 1 mile down, with the gate on the left. We will try to have signs up at the major turns – just follow the star!
What to bring: (Cub Scouts must accompany a Cub Scout leader or parent—sign up online)
1) Water bottle, sun screen and bug spray. We are outside!
2) Lunch in a cooler. There are shaded pavilions with picnic benches for lunch and our afternoon stations. Bathrooms are on site, as well as running water and some electricity. We are working to have a small concession stand for snacks and cold drinks.
3) Work gloves, shovels, wheelbarrows. We will be working on a trail that they are installing as a demonstration area. There are weeds for our youngest scouts to help clear off of the trail that is already done. The trail work will involve digging down about 2 inches, and covering with “decomposed granite”. There will also be a painting project for our Webelos and Boy Scouts if we have enough people to help with the trail work.
Our VC of Service has chosen the following activities for our afternoon stations:
1) Hike around the park
2) Essentials for a hike
3) Leaf rubbings/ plant identification
4) Leave no Trace for Cub Scouts
5) Knot Tying
6) Kickball / Flag football (for the belt loops)
7) Display of Raptors from the Park
The Black Prairie Raptor Center Park is a beautiful place with a small pond (very clear water), endangered native prairie, located right on the shores of Lake Lavon. This is an unique opportunity to show our youngest Scouts how human interference have affect our environment – from the now rare prairie plants to what happens when human try to care for wild birds of prey.
We are looking forward to seeing you on July 8th! Come and join the fun!
Any questions contact Kara Hodgkiss, OA Chapter Advisor, Wicahpi Chapter (Lone Star District) at email@example.com.